Summer is the perfect time for salads, but who wants to just eat a bowl of leaves? I saw this recipe on the TV, curtesy of Lorraine Pascale and the BBC. It’s got bacon and cheese in it, (two of my greatest loves!) and it’s a really easy yet impressive looking recipe – so much so that my parents have asked me to make it the next time we’ve got family visiting for dinner!
So, you will need:
3-4 stips of sliced pancetta per person
1 pear per person (peeled, cored and cut into four)
Blue cheese of your choice – I went for Saint Agur blue
1) Place a large frying pan over a medium heat. When it’s hot, fry off the pancetta until it’s golden and crispy before setting it aside on some kitchen paper.
2) Add some olive oil to the pan and the pears. Once they’re frying nicely, add a couple of tablespoons of honey and continue to cook.
3) Once the pears are nearly ready, add in a couple of tablespoons of balsamic vinegar to cook until the pears are a dark gold colour and a soft on the outside, but not breakable!
4) Remove the pears and add some more honey and vinegar to the pan – these juices will be the dressing to go over the top of the salad.
5) Assemble the salad. Start with the leaves on the bottom before laying on the cooked pears. Next, put the crispy pancetta on the top and add cubes of the blue cheese before drizzling over the dressing. Serve with a chunk of good bread and enjoy!
Give it a go! It’s delicious!